Asbestos corner bead on asbestos cladding.
Before buying a home which contains asbestos cement it may be prudent to obtain independent advice. We provide this service at competitive prices.
Rectification costs are also commented on.
For employers we provide the following:
- dust analysis with NATA certification
- independent air monitoring
- preparation of asbestos materials register (this is a mandatory requirement for all building owners)
Asbestos Materials Register
The following details are covered. Determination of asbestos whether it is:
- Chrysotile (White) asbestos
- Crocidolite (Blue) asbestos
- Amosite (Brown) asbestos
What is an Asbestos Materials Register?
Defined in Part 7 of the Code of Practice for the Management and Control of Asbestos in Workplaces [NOHSC:2018 (2005)] it is a register of identified or presumed Asbestos Containing Materials.
Why have one? Who needs one?
Again under Part 7, above, persons with control of the premises have a duty of care to:
- develop and implement and maintain an asbestos management plan
- investigate the premises for the presence or possible presence of Asbestos Containing Materials
- develop and maintain a register of the identified or presumed Asbestos Containing Materials, including details on their locations, accessibility, condition, risk assessments and control measures
- assess the condition of any Asbestos Containing Materials that are found and the associated asbestos risks
- develop measures to remove the Asbestos Containing Materials or otherwise to minimise the risks and prevent exposure to asbestos
- ensure the control measures are implemented as soon as possible and are maintained as long as the Asbestos Containing Materials remain in the workplace
When removing asbestos
As per Section 7.2.2 of the Code of Practice for the Safe Removal of Asbestos 2nd Edition [NOHSC:(2002) 2005] the client should give the asbestos removalist a copy of the workplaces register of Asbestos Containing Materials before any removal work commences. It is the clients responsibility to identify the Asbestos Containing Material. This responsibility must not be abdicated to the asbestos removalist.
How often should an Asbestos Materials Register be reviewed?
As per Section 9.3.1 of the Code of Practice for the Management and Control of Asbestos in Workplaces [NOHSC:2018 (2005)] review should be every 12 months or earlier where:
- a risk assessment indicates the need for reassessment
- any Asbestos Containing Materials has been disturbed or removed.
We follow up clients about a month prior to review.
What information does an Asbestos Materials Review contain?
- Action - which incorporates the Asbestos Management Plan
Our reports include photos and a detailed spreadsheet.
Experience of Director
Gordon Barr is a Worksafe Licensed asbestos removalist holding 2 licenses WAD212 & WARA 688.He has removed thosands of tonnes of asbestos over the past 20 years. He has been compiling Asbestos Materials Registers since the requirement was introduced.
Locations have included factories, offices, schools, warehouses, houses, hotels etc.
Labelling of asbestos containing materials
This is included as part of the service.
House inspections for asbestos
We highly recommend pre purchase /pre renovation house inspections.We identify areas where the asbestos is present and removal and proper disposal costs. The fee we charge is credited against removal work (valid for 1 year). The worst case scenario we have seen was where asbestos removal/rectification totalled $100,000!!!!
Please contact Asbestos Inspections if you wish to enquire about our inspection service.
Phone. 0416 348 566 PO Box 1352 East Victoria Park Western Australia 6981